Wednesday, January 20, 2010

couch to 5k

as many of you may know, i have been on a health kick in 2010. i've been eating a vegan diet, which has opened up a whole new world of cooking for me. i'm tracking nutrients to make sure i'm not depriving my body of anything it needs (and yes, i'm getting enough protein). it's been a really great cleanse for me and i feel wonderful.

another aspect of my plan for healthy living is the couch to 5k program, which promises that any couch potato schlub can get in shape enough to run a 5k in nine weeks. i started it three weeks ago, and i finally feel solid enough to start talking about it. this program is really working for me, and i think it has to do with the fact it starts out slow and gradually ramps up. in the first week, you alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking. it's a totally conquerable goal and i personally found it much easier than i thought it would be.

today, i completed week three, day three (hereafter referred to as w3d3). the third week was pretty difficult for me, as you start running for three minutes without stopping. the beginning of the week was tough, and i was definitely a heaving, huffing, puffing mess by the end of the workout. today, however, i feel like my body had gained enough strength to run through it much easier. i love this little success!

on friday, i'll begin week four which alternates three minute and five minute runs with ninety seconds and two and a half minutes of walking. it's the first week in which you run more than you walk. whewwww. but the most exciting part about week four is that i promised myself if i made it to the halfway point of the program, i'd buy myself a pair of good running shoes. i will be able to do that for myself after monday! i'll post some pictures of them when they're on my appreciative feet.

1 comment:

  1. hey Katie! Thanks for popping by my running blog! Glad to have you around!

    ReplyDelete